Best Practices for Creating Inclusive Job Postings
Kairos regularly receives requests for best practices related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The following best practices and diversity language examples are meant to provide you easy to follow guidance to assist with job postings, career sites, and social media.
- Use inclusive language: Avoid using language that might be exclusive or biased, such as “aggressive,” “competitive,” or “dominant.” Instead, use language that is welcoming and inclusive, such as “collaborative,” “supportive,” or “flexible.”
- Avoid using gendered pronouns: Instead of using “he” or “she,” use gender-neutral pronouns such as “they” or “the candidate.”
- Be specific about the qualifications: Instead of asking for “years of experience,” specify the number of years of experience required for the position. Also, avoid asking for a degree or certification if it’s not required for the job.
- Emphasize the company’s commitment to diversity and inclusion: In the job posting, make it clear that the company values diversity and inclusion, and that all qualified candidates will be considered for the position.
- Make sure that the job posting is accessible: Use clear and simple language and ensure that the job posting is accessible to people with disabilities.
- Have a diverse team review the posting: Involving a diverse team in the review of job postings can help identify any language or requirements that may be exclusive or unintentionally biased.
- Be transparent about the salary: It is recommended to be transparent about the salary, benefits and other compensation package on the job posting.
- Be clear about the remote or flexible work: In the case of remote or flexible working arrangements, be very clear about the specifics of it on the job posting.
Website and Social Media Language
In addition to the practices above, here is some sample language you can modify or use as you wish on your company career website and social media:
- “At [Company Name], we believe that diversity and inclusion are key to our success. We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace where all employees feel valued, respected, and heard. We welcome applicants of all genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, abilities, and backgrounds, and we encourage everyone to apply for our open positions.”
- “As an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate and support the diversity of our team and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.”
- “We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to make the application process as smooth as possible.”
- “As a company, we strive for inclusivity and are dedicated to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We are looking for individuals who align with our core values and share our passion for creating a diverse and inclusive environment.”
- “We believe that diversity drives innovation, and we are dedicated to fostering an environment that is welcoming to all. We are excited to review your application and look forward to learning how you can contribute to our team.”